I am a proven engineer leader with solid records of developing natural language understanding services and delivering business value. I enjoy the sweet spot of developing high-traffic runtime systems, as well as training and optimizing machine learning models. My experience includes leading the effort of developing text classification, named entity extraction, query auto-completion and search ranking systems.
- Lead a group of three engineers to create a pre-built language service that allow customers to classify intents and extract common entities without their own training data.
- Lead the design, development, model training and evaluation of an Orchestration service that allows customers to manage and access multiple cognitive language services under one umbrella.
- Design APIs based on the Azure Rest API guideline, and work with the SDK team to generate SDKs.
- Fine-tune transformers to build multi-lingual text classification and named-entity recognition models.
- Productionize models to improve their runtime performance like latency and memory footprint.
- Monitor production systems to maintain runtime performance and model quality.
- Lead design and implement the query auto-completion system for Walmart’s online grocery shopping, including query prediction, filtering, and ranking.
- Build hierarchical classifiers to predict product categories given search keywords.
- Design and implement ranking algorithms to improve research relevance.
- Analyze click stream data to evaluate the performance of search ranking algorithms.
- Leverage technologies like Hive, Spark, and Hadoop to build highly scalable solutions for data ETL.
- Collect data and built a model to predict MapReduce performance using cluster and job configurations.
- Developed a web application based on JIRA’s REST APIs to assist Sprint planning. This tool is being used everyday in the organization. Rewrote a Silverlight application with HTML5 techniques.
- Built software to distributively execute batch files across heterogeneous servers by predefined flow.
- Built a management system for NEC’s next generation software-defined networking switch.